Friday, July 16, 2010

2 Timothy 4:2,5

Today my reading took me through the end of 2 Timothy. As I was reading chapter 4, I came across these verses:

"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-with great patience and careful instruction. But you, keep your headi n all situations, endure hardship, do the work fo an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry." (vs 2,5)

This is especially interesting and challenging to me because today, our middle son asked Jesus to come into his life; to be his Lord and Savior. We rejoice! What a blessing, a miracle and a gift. What we pray for everyday. Do I think he totally understands. No. Will we ever TOTALLY comprehend the miracle of God's grace? No...I don't think we will until we see him face to face. And yet, what a blessing to be able to explain again the gift of grace God gave us in his Son's death and ressurrection, and this time to have Corban recieve this gift as his own!

As I read these verses in 2 Timothy, I was reminded that this is why God called us to shepherd and parent our children, to preach to them The Word, and to be prepared at all times. Even when we're doing the breakfast dishes. And to teach them his Word, his grace and mercy, as we are disciplining, rebuking and encouraging our kids.

I can stuggle with the seemed monotony of staying at home with my kids, and the decision to homeschool. And God reminded me today through Corban, and Paul's letter to Timothy that I too, am an evangelist. My purpose as a Mom is to show Christ to my kids. This too is why we decided to homeschool. So that my kids can have the opportunity to hear God's Word at all times. Not just before and after school, but all day.

Perhaps this is what is most challenging. That I have such a huge responsibility. That I am called to be patient and to "keep my head in all situations." Again, another reason to be thankful for God's mercy and grace. And praise Him that He promises to help me through it. In His strength alone....

3 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord about Corban!!!! :) What a great, encouraging post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it, sister - love to you and your dear family!

    ReplyDelete